[ExI] Gaining weight on paleo, and fat balance

lists1 at evil-genius.com lists1 at evil-genius.com
Mon Nov 15 07:34:10 UTC 2010

> Natasha asked:
>
>> >Max, after you respond to Amara, would you please advise me how I
>> >can maintain and even gain weight on the paleo diet?

I'm not Max, but I can offer some insight:

-Few foods remain unimproved by the addition of avocado slices, a fried
egg, or both.

-Root vegetables (particularly yams and sweet potatoes) are not
impermissible.  The most recent research (based on isotopic data) I've
seen indicates that Late Pleistocene hunter-forager diets were
approximately 1/3 hunted meat (antelope, other big game), 1/3 non-hunted
meat (fish, insects, etc.), and 1/3 vegetables and roots.  Since the
calorie content of vegetables is low, roots likely accounted for a
significant portion of the 1/3.

"In this review we have analyzed the 13 known quantitative dietary
studies of hunter-gatherers and demonstrate that animal food actually
provided the dominant (65%) energy source, while gathered plant foods
comprised the remainder (35%)."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11965522

Fair warning: you will get into big arguments over this amongst paleo
purists.  However, since your objective is to gain weight, not to lose
it, some root starches will help you maintain that objective while still
staying away from gluten/gliadin.

In other words, the old-school American breakfast of steak or bacon,
eggs, and potatoes is basically paleo -- so long as the potatoes are
fried in the steak fat or in butter, and not in an industrial product
like 'vegetable oil' (a misnomer: actually 'grain oil')

And for those of you who aren't ready to go full paleo but want as many
of the health, energy, and attitude benefits as possible, removing
anything containing 'vegetable oil' from your diet is a great start.
Corn oil, soybean oil, cottonseed/sunflower/safflower/canola oil ==
extremely high in n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids.  Even olive oil
should be used lightly and in moderation due to n-6 content.

I can expand on this if people are interested: altering the n-3/n-6
balance accounts for many of the beneficial effects of a paleo/primal diet.