[ExI] The atoms red herring. =|

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Nov 16 07:53:51 UTC 2010

On Nov 15, 2010, at 6:38 PM, Alan Grimes wrote:

> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
>> You have said that if a person is destructively copied he does not survive. What does this imply about
>> your view of survival?
>
> As has been shown, that is difficult to argue with conventional logic
> and reasoning, so let's try a completely different mind experiment. I
> want you, right now, to try to mind-swap yourself into your cat, or your
> computer or anything else you might find more suitable.
>
> I presume the experiment will fail. So why did it? What evidence do you
> have that the experiment will succeed if certain pre-conditions are met?
> What are those preconditions?

Neither my car or current computers have sufficient storage, effective speed and parallelism to accommodate my current understanding of what a human brain requires to function as such.

You cannot have such "evidence" of course.  You can merely point out that their are necessary pre-conditions without being able to make an exhaustive case that they are sufficient.     If any intelligent being could make that case then it would still be possible that none of us is sufficiently intelligent to understand and be convinced by it.

- s