[ExI] The atoms red herring. =|

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Wed Nov 17 14:54:33 UTC 2010

>> Stop pretending that the tools, techniques, and
>> assumptions, we use to
>> describe and manipulate strings of letters on a
>> piece of paper mean
>> anything whatsoever in the context of yourself.

> Science has everything to say about identity.
> Everything that can be sensibly said, in fact.

On some days, you need to jump outside of science and critically ask
what questions it is actually suited to answer, in what context, and
from which perspective. You have a well-reasoned scientific argument but
your conclusions run out past your evidence by 10^10 miles.

Science deals exclusively with questions of *KNOWLEDGE*. Science,
however, is nearly mute about questions of *INTERPRETATION*. That is
where we get back into natural philosophy. My philosophical argument on
this point is air-tight. Because humans are incapable of switching their
point of view, it is therefore impossible for a human to jump out of the
way (in any sense) of the luncheon meat slicer preparing his brain for
scanning.

What you have done is turn science into a religion. You are using
"science" to try to escape irrefutable evidence that you can't upload.
You are treating radiant truths about yourself and your world as flawed,
biased thinking. You are doing this by ignoring things that cannot
possibly be false while clinging with all your might to vaporous
hand-waving arguments about patterns and information retention.

Now, let me let you in on a little secret. One that will rock your world
up one side and down the other. The pattern of your neural
interconnections is not static, indeed it changes and evolves on the
time scale of about ten seconds. So if you flash-froze your brain at one
instant and then uploaded it and then, in an alternate reality, you were
flash-frozen ten seconds later, your neural patterns would be measurably
different, and have a different number of synapses. Which scan is you?

Pattern identity theory is a crock and it is only your desperation that
forces you to cling to it.

--
DO NOT USE OBAMACARE.
DO NOT BUY OBAMACARE.