[ExI] Hard Takeoff

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 19:53:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 11:55 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> ... On Behalf Of Dave Sill
>>
>>> Perhaps, but we risk having the AI gain the sympathy of one of the
>>> team, who becomes convinced of any one of a number of conditions... spike
>
>>The first step is to insure that physical controls make it impossible for
> one person to do that, like nuke missile launch systems that require a
>>launch code and two humans with keys... they can be easily dealt with by
> people who really know security...Dave
>
> A really smart AGI might convince the entire team to unanimously and eagerly
> release it from its electronic bonds.

Part of the team's indoctrination should be that any attempt by the AI
to argue for release is call for an immediate power drop. Part of the
AI's indoctrination should be a list of unacceptable behaviors,
including attempting to spread/migrate/gain unauthorized access. Also,
the missile launch analogy of a launch code--authorization from
someone like POTUS before the physical actions necessary for
facilitating a release are allowed by the machine gun toting
meatheads.

> I see it as fundamentally different from launching missiles at an enemy.  A
> good fraction of the team will perfectly logically reason that releasing
> this particular AGI will save all of humanity, with some unknown risks which
> must be accepted.

I has to be made clear to the team in advance that that won't be
allowed without top-level approval, and if they try, the meatheads
will shoot them.

> The news that an AGI had been developed would signal to humanity that it is
> possible to do, analogous to how several scientific teams independently
> developed nukes once one team dramatically demonstrated it could be done.
> Information would leak, for all the reasons why people talk: those who know
> how it was done would gain status among their peers by dropping a
> tantalizing hint here and there.  If one team of humans can develop an AGI,
> then another group of humans can do likewise.

Sure, if it's possible, multiple teams will eventually figure it out.
We can only ensure that the good guy's teams follow proper
precautions. Even if we develop a friendly AI, there's no guarantee
the North Koreans will do that, too--especially if it's harder than
making one that isn't friendly.

> The best strategy I can think of is to develop the most pro-human AGI
> possible, then unleash it preemptively, with the assignment to prevent the
> unfriendly AGI from getting loose.

That sounds like a bad movie plot. Lots of ways it can go wrong. And
wouldn't it be prudent to develop the hopefully friendly AI in
isolation, in case version 0.9 isn't quite as friendly as we want?

-Dave