[ExI] Hard Takeoff

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 02:07:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:26 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Our current efforts might influence the AGI but we have no way to prove it.
> Backing away from the AGI development effort is not really an option, or
> rather not a good one, for without an AGI, time will take us all anyway.  I
> give us a century, two centuries as a one sigma case.
>
> Mike, given that paradigm, are my previous comments understandable?

understandable sure.

The popular culture of the 1980's could understand imminent nuclear
destruction & could do nothing about it either, so there are many
references to waiting for the end and enjoying the moment whenever we
can.

Of course we didn't nuke ourselves back to the stone age.

As far as we can tell, humanity is pretty good at avoiding total
destruction.  Of course total destruction would necessarily wipe clean
the historical record and let only the latest observers write
history...