[ExI] Micro-loan programs not as successful as hoped

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 17:41:54 UTC 2010

I'm not sure microlenders here are creating money. My impression was they have
money that they loan out -- not that they are, say, like fractional reserve
banks or fiat money central banks, producing money beyond their reserves.

As for charging interest, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with this. Market
interest rates, setting aside other coercive interferences in them, basically
have three components: a risk premium, a price premium (which confuses things a
little here, but that's the terminology), and time preference. The first is the
lender's assessment of how likely it is for the borrower to pay back the loan --
the risk of default, in other words. The second is what the likely inflation is
going to be when the loan is paid back. For instance, if inflation were going to
double the money supply by the time of payment, the lender would want to be paid
at least twice the amount back.

The third, however, is a stumbling block for most people. Time preference is how
much someone values the present over the future -- or, more particular, a
present good or service or what one believes its future otherwise equivalent
good or service (this is, of course, based on subjective valuations -- not
physical identity). For a trade to happen here, there must be a difference in
how the lender and borrower value these things. (This is true of all trades.
Trades only happen because people have different valuations for things.* If,
say, you value my apple more than your pencil and I value your pencil more than
my apple, we have the basis for a trade.) In essence, the lender and borrower
must come to some agreement on what's to be loan, for how long, and what's to be
paid back. The difference, in money terms, in what's paid back is the interest.
(The interest rate is merely dividing the money amount of what's paid back by
what's loaned out over a specific time period -- and stated in percentage
terms.)

Plugging this back into people complaining about high interest rates, this only
amounts to people not liking the interest rates being offered. There is nothing
scientific about this -- in other words, if it's uncoerced, these interest rates
are merely what people agree to pay and no third party can say they are too high
or too low. In an uncoerced setting -- which doesn't mean nirvana or a setting
where everyone gets whatever she or he wants -- there is no such thing as the
interest rate being wrong. (And if particular people can't agree to trade here
-- as happens often enough as merely wanting to lend or borrowing or buy or sell
doesn't always end in a trade -- then the trade simply doesn't take place.)

Regards,

Dan

* This is not to say the valuations don't change. In the example that follows, I
might latter regret trading my apple for your pencil. Of course, any trade is
going to be forward-looking with the people trading both expecting to be better
off in the future -- maybe immediately following the trade or, in the case of
long-term loans, years afterward. (Think of someone who trades nights when she
could be out partying for night school to get an advanced degree. Her benefit is
definitely not immediate and she might be completely wrong about her
expectations: maybe her goal was more money, but she finds she doesn't make
enough to even cover the student loans.)