[ExI] Micro-loan programs not as successful as hoped

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 19:56:04 UTC 2010

I think this is the main issue here. I doubt many microlenders are creating new
money. Central banks and other established banks under the current system do
create new money, but my impression is microlenders merely lend out of their
existing money stock and don't create any new money stock to back loans or
deposits.

And my point was merely that there's nothing wrong per se with charging interest
on loans. One might criticize either fiat money or fractional reserve systems,
but that's entirely separate from the issue of charging interest on loans. Also,
further, there's no objective, scientific way to say that freely agreed upon
interest rates (or any other prices) are too high or too low. (Of course, we
live in societies where there's massive manipulation of interest rates and other
prices, though, to my knowledge, microlenders are not part of the
manipulation and seem to represent a way of dealing with current credit systems.
I think complaining about them is merely misguided at best or so much
demagoguery at worst. In this case, it's notable that politicians and government
economists are doing the complaining -- not the borrowers serviced by
microlenders. To me, this is typical of much anti-market rhetoric: the people
actually involved are not complaining -- just outsiders who seem to either not
have a clue or who actually are just looking for an issue to grandstand on.)

Regards,

Dan