[ExI] Human Persons AND Upload / WBE / ASIM Issue

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sat Nov 27 18:58:29 UTC 2010

One area that is not covered in upload/WBE/ ASIM research is the health or
well-being of the person and its relationship to the system/substrate that
we will exist in or on.

Currently, in our biological mode, our bodies serve multiple purposes, one
of which is a means of expression--both physical and mental.  In this case,
two obvious extremes are the humans who express enjoyment of the body
through athletics and bodily process of sex, eating, and playing, for
example.  On the other hand, a person can become captive of his/her
physiology (cognitive and somatic) through over indulging in the bodily
sensations, which can become unhealthy habits and addictions. In either
case, the outward appearance of the body reveals aspects the internal
expressions.

How might the upload's substrate reflect its experiential expressions?  For
example, an upload's attributes express either healthy processes or
unhealthy habits/additions:  What if the substrate has programming issues
that interfere with its functioning; how might this expression be
recognized?  In biology, we incorporate food for energy. This food either
causes good health or poor health.  How might the source of energy/fuel for
an upload affect the substrate we exist in or on? One might say that an
upload is not a human and will have no comparative physiological expression.
Nevertheless, there has to be modes of expression for it to exist.  The
process of thinking and experiencing engages activities, The diverse
computational attributes of these activities would become incorporated in
the upload's awareness and its own computations.

Natasha

 <http://www.natasha.cc/> Natasha Vita-More