[ExI] Satirical News Sites (Was Nulla contro lo Onion)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 19:23:35 UTC 2010

2010/11/29 Darren Greer wrote plaintively:
> But then again, I had to read THIS story twice to make sure IT wasn't
> satirical. Thanks guys. My faith in Internet news is now in play.
> Signed,
> Shaky McNet.

That's the problem with satire today. The world has gone so crazy that
Onion articles get quoted as real news stories and satire becomes
impossible.

The current European bailout of Greece and now Ireland is ongoing
craziness masquerading as official policy.

The European Central Bank has stated that all debts must be paid and
defaults will not be permitted. (i.e. protect the billionaire bankers
at all costs).
<http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTOE6AS00Y20101129>

One of the financial bloggers attempted to write a funny satirical
interview, but so many people believed it that he had to add a
disclaimer at the end.

<http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2010/11/bond-threat-dismantled-much-maligned.html>

Quotes:
Said ECB president Trichet in an exclusive interview...

    "This is a victory for much maligned bondholders everywhere. I am
pleased to announce we have effectively removed the word investing
from the vocabulary of bondholders."
    "Starting today, bondholders need not be concerned with who they
lend money to, why, or what risks there are in doing so."

    "Not only will this help ease turmoil in the markets, but
bondholders can now think in terms of winning rather than the more
mundane investing because the ECB and IMF will backstop all losses
from trading bonds."

In a followup interview Trichet commented, "The debt crisis is over.
We are willing to grant Greece and Ireland as much time as they need.
If an extra-four-and-a-half years to repay emergency loans proves
insufficient, we are willing to wait an extra-hundred-and-a-half
years".

When asked if he meant 150 years or 100.5 years, Trichet replied, "I
mean as long as it takes to make the ECB whole, forever if necessary.
The important thing is for bondholders to never suffer losses. Heaven
forbid we should ever unsettle bondholders by insinuating they may
have to take some losses. Bondholders in general, not just Goldman
Sachs bondholders, do God's work."

The craziness keeps on coming.

BillK