[ExI] CQT Researcher Uncovers Quantitative Link Between Quantum Non-Locality and Uncertainty

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 16:00:18 UTC 2010

This is a great example of what's wrong with most news reporting about
quantum
mechanics: lots of fluff about "it's spooky" and "it's wierd", very little
reporting on
what the actual breakthrough actually is.  Moreover, the breakthrough is
coded in
metaphor and simile - which leads to public misunderstanding.

For example, this seems to be the main cause of the misunderstanding that
entanglement means FTL communication.  It is true that you can determine
what
one member of a pair is, and therefore conclude what the other member must
be
even if it's a long ways away - but any information you encode with it still
has to
travel at light speed or less.  Even if you encode the information with an
entangled
bit, the information (encoded or otherwise) still had to travel normally to
get to
the other party.  If you and another party pre-arrange to act depending on
the
polarity of a bit sent from a source midway between you, that
pre-arrangement
had to travel at light speed, and you could act the same depending on other
information sent from a source midway between you.