[ExI] Where Consensus Fails (Was Re: Hal Lewis' resignation from The American Physical Society)

Gregory Jones spike66 at att.net
Sat Oct 9 22:48:29 UTC 2010

----- Original Message ----
From: Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com

>Spike and Others argued over whether it was OK to have strong opinions on such
>things?  Of course it is OK to have strong opinions of things, including what is
>more important...Brent Allsop

Ja thanks bud.  When one has strong opinions about such things, one must guard
against projection, or assuming every reasonable and honest person must agree.

Brent, a religion you may know something about has a meme that goes something
like "If you are an honest godly person, when you hear this message you will get
heartburn."  Or something like that.  {8^D  I get the feeling the really
convinced AGW crowd has their version of that meme.

Just this week, the Brits landed in the news for creating public service
messages in which global-warming-denying schoolchildren are slain by their
teachers.  I saw the messages on YouTube, and they are revolting indeed, with
plenty of gore (lower case g, not Al.)

http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=http%3A//www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DEswTo4iNEhY

Those who made the videos explained they thought it was supposed to be funny.
Even with my own very open minded sense of humor, the only thing I found funny
about them is that anyone would think of them as funny.

I can think of no other areas in scientific discourse which has resulted in
anything analogous to this kind of thing.