[ExI] Food Guide Pyramid and dietary consensus [Was: Re: Hal Lewis' resignation from The American Physical Society]

Max More max at maxmore.com
Sun Oct 10 00:59:01 UTC 2010

Yes, there has been a substantial increase in the proportion of
calories coming from carbohydrates, especially sugars and refined
carbs. It's not clear whether the Food Guide caused this change, or
merely accompanied it. But it seems that 90% of the increase in
calories came from carbs, and carbs accounted for a growing
proportion of total calories starting around the late 1970s or early
1980s. At the same time, also in accordance with official guidelines,
the percentage of diet accounted for by fat declined. Yet obesity
rose rapidly. Apart from the cites in Taube's book, you can see the
same info here:

"Most of these extra calories came from an increase in carbohydrate
consumption rather than fat consumption."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity#cite_note-73

Max