[ExI] Hal Lewis' resignation from The American Physical Society

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 15:47:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> I'm currently reading about the great flaws in another "consensus", this one
>> to do with the causes of obesity and diet-related health issues: Gary
>> Taubes, Good Calories, Bad Calories. One emblem of this is the Government's
>> official Food Guide Pyramid -- another damaging area of flawed official
>> position.
>
> I had no idea *anyone* paid attention to the pyramid.  When it came
> out, or for that matter when the previous one came out, was there any
> noticeable chance in what people ate?

For the typical consumer, probably not.  For the children in public
schools there would be a natural constraint on their choices for lunch
based on the government-sanctioned food schedule.  Remember the debate
about whether tomato is a fruit or a vegetable for the sake of whether
ketchup could be considered a serving of veg?

I think the government food guides will also dictate which products
qualify for financial assistance and to what degree.

But for the majority of financially independent gluttons, the food
pyramid has little/no influence.