[ExI] TransDisabled [WAS:Transhumanist Declaration]

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 15:27:18 UTC 2010

I think this is all relative. I mean what is viewed as a lack or a disability
depends on expectations, preferences, and context. I'm sure we're all aware how
this has changed in terms of medicine and health just over the last century or
so. This has led to changes in expectations, preferences, and the overall
context. For instance, what's expected of and preferred by someone who's 60 now
is a lot different than what was expected 20, 50, or 100 years ago. I think one
might view the average 60 year old of 100 years ago -- someone who might have
expected to be in that condition and realigned her preferences accordingly -- as
a person with many disabilities and who could and should be made better off
(surely, not magically changed into a 20 year old) in terms of physical and
mental capabilities and might even be expected to do much better now.

And I don't think a change in nomenclature will fix this, though, I suspect, it
might raise consciousness.

I think, also, the terms used will change over time as what's viewed as
appriopriate changes -- partly because what's a euphemism or a dysphemism
changes -- over time or depending on the social context.

I would also quibble with "obligation" as that connotes a claim upon someone to
do something. And I only think such claims come up with consent and never
without it. This doesn't mean no moral judgment follows. One might judge someone
to be immoral, for instance, because of her behavior, but still not believe she
has an obligation -- as in something enforceable -- to behave otherwise. This
really comes down to separating justice claims from the rest of morality.

Regards,

Dan