[ExI] funny transhumanist story

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 02:57:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
> I will repeat what has already been stated: no knowledgeable transhumanist
> would argue that everyone should be uploaded against their will.
>
> A human being must have control over his/her right of body, brain and mind
> and no one should coerce any human to evolve/morph/upload.

I outlined a story where an evil character uploaded a mess of
millennial Christians, I forget exactly why, on the day they had
predicted the rapture.  After a couple of weeks they were noticed to
be missing.  The cops found them all at home in cocoons plugged into
the net.  The story revolves around this poor rookie cop who was sent
into the simulation to inform them that they were not in Heaven after
all, but had been uploaded as a joke.  They were offered a chance to
informed consent, you can't just boot them out of a simulation even if
they had been put there illegally.

Also they were in a 50 to 1 speed up simulation so as far as they were
concerned they had been in heaven for two years subjective.

The mechanism used was non destructive, fully reversible so they could
be put back in their bodies, with or without memory wipe of the
experiences.  Question, can you get bored in Heaven?

Lots of story possibilities that I didn't develop even in outline.

Keith