[ExI] Column- "Why the Singularity isn't going to happen"

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 21:26:44 UTC 2010

John wrote:

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 4:35 PM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Annalee Newitz, if I remember correctly, has already written some very
> nasty things about transhumanists...
>

> http://io9.com/5661534/why-the-singularity-isnt-going-to-happen?skyline=true&s=i

I'm uncertain what she means by a 'singularity-level technology.' I tried to
figure it out within the context of the article and simply couldn't.  Does
she mean that penicillin is actually a self-modifying intelligence of a
magnitude of higher order than human beings that happened to arise when
Jonas Salk left some bad cheese near the spot where he spilled a glass of
milk?

I'm not entirely certain either what the term singularity implies and often
get confused by various definitions if it. So I'm usually pretty open to
discussion about about it because I want to understand and form my own
opinions. But this article seemed more verbiage than comprehensible
argument.

Darren

--
"I don't regret the kingdoms. What sense in borders and nations and
patriotism? But I miss the kings."

-*Harold and Maude*