[ExI] Fwd: [Cosmic Engineers] Re: Sharing/engineering proposal

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 16 00:21:26 UTC 2010

Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ben, I am not really pouring cold water on your ideas,
> which are very
> much in tune with those discussed on the early extropian
> list.  But I
> do urge caution.

Of course.
I was responding to the implication that remaining biological might be better than uploading, which many people, including me, think is ludicrous.

Not that I think there wouldn't be problems to deal with as an upload.  I'm banking on there being equivalents to linux, firefox, noscript, adblock and optimisegoogle for uploads, not to mention uploadgreasemonkey and uploadstaythehelloutofmyneocortex, and I'm sure that writing your own exoself software will be a popular, and perhaps essential, occupation.

Maybe, in the future, the price of freedom will be the willingness and ability to eternally rewrite your own systems software.  Even so, it's better than being made of meat, imo.

Ben Zaiboc