[ExI] Axes on a graph

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 02:09:19 UTC 2010

On the short end of the scale, some years ago there was a virus that
had a doubling time of 8.5 seconds.  More recently. the thousand point
melt down in the stock market seems to have been caused by automatic
trading programs that were making trades in a few milliseconds.

So the possibility exists that the singularity could happen between
breakfast and lunch.

If humans are in the loop, it will probably go slower.

The more interesting question is when.

That depends on the doubling time.  There the human genome project is
instructive.  I seem to remember that 5 years into the project they
had under 1% sequenced.  It more or less finished something like two
years under the original estimate.

http://www.strategicgenomics.com/Genome/index.htm

Last I heard, Ray Kurzweil was expecting it to happen 2045 plus or
minus a few years.

Keith