[ExI] Clarification of me and uploading.

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 19:01:11 UTC 2010

2010/10/22 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>

> For these reasons it seems likely that everything that can be uploaded will
> be uploaded; assuming there is not some disaster (positive feedback loops
> from electronic drug addition?) that throws a monkey wrench into the entire
> works.

Maybe.  My point is, though, there will always be a significant  part of the
universe that
has not been uploaded, so any sentience that wishes to continue to exist
will need a
means of dealing with it - which requires power source, manipulation, and
intelligence
that is directly dealing with the real world instead of any virtual
environment.

This may seem like a small thing - it might account for a tiny fraction of
all sentience in
such a scenario.  (Or not.  Why assume that most sentience would be
interested in
accurately re-enacting the past in excruciating detail?  That is not the
case today -
though there are certainly those who do it, they're not the majority - and
none of the
changes proposed would seem to make that any more desirable.  Easier to do,
perhaps,
but why do that instead of doing something new?)

Thing is, it's the fraction that most non-transhumanists would prefer to be,
if they were in
such a setting, on initial review.  To appear to dismiss it means they won't
give it further
review, and just dismiss all proponents of uploading.