[ExI] Electric cars without batteries

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Oct 25 15:49:22 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of BillK
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Electric cars without batteries
>
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 4:16 AM, spike  wrote:

> > ...If instead of a condenser, we throw the low pressure steam overboard
> > after it passes the turbine, the idea would require too
> much water mass for a typical trip.
> >
> <http://www.steamcar.co.uk/design.html>
>
> Length  	7.663 m
> Width 	1.700 m
> Tall 	        1.700 m
> Weight 	3 tonnes
> Engine 	Two stage turbine      13,000rpm max turbine revs
> Transmission 	Rear wheel drive
> Power 	268 kw 	360 hp
> Top speed 	274 kph 	170 mph
>
> New world record!
>
> BillK

Thanks BillK, this confirms what I suspected.  These kinds of experiments
are used for land speed records.  I noticed this design has no condenser, so
it uses:

...Water capacity 140 litres deminerialised water
...1,000 litres (1tonne) of water used every 25 minutes

40 liters of water per minute, or a litre every 1.3 seconds, (a gallon every
five seconds for Americans) and would have water capacity for a 3.5 minute
run, but at these speeds this car would cover nearly 10 miles, devouring 60
litres of fuel in that time.  I also noticed that this power plant produces
right about the same amount of peak power as the Detroit V8 in my truck, and
has a similar weight.