[ExI] Let's play What If.

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 17:22:19 UTC 2010

2010/10/26 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>

> I'd say that the two beings have a common history and at the start common
> memories, so there wouldn't really be two separate beings but only one.

But we're talking about an original and an upload, so there would be two
separate beings as soon as the upload is activated--one running on the
"real" atomic substrate and one running on the upload host.

However because of random quantum fluctuations, they would start to diverge
> very soon after the upload was made and become different beings; although
> they would still have a common history and would both have an equal right to
> call themselves you.

They might both feel that way, but not necessarily. The upload could be
aware that it's a virtual copy and consider itself a fork of the original,
and unable to claim that it *is* the original. Also, the law may well not
grant both entities the same rights. The upload would be unlikely to be able
to marry a non-upload, and may not even be considered a person.

-Dave