[ExI] Let's play What If.

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 10:15:56 UTC 2010

2010/10/27 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:

> It wouldn't matter, there is still a 100% chance I will be tortured and a
> 100% chance I will not be. Making a million copies, or one copy, or no copy
> at all doesn't matter until things happen to one them but not the other and
> they start to differentiate. A million identical copies of you running in a
> million identical environments would produce only one conscious being until
> Quantum Mechanics or something else got then out of sync. Torture would
> count as something else.

Yes, torturing one of the copies would cause a differentiation, and
there is a 1/million probability that you would be the copy that
differentiates. On the other hand if there were only 2 copies there
would be a 1/2 probability that you would be the one that experiences
torture and differentiates. So it is better to go for the million
copies.

--
Stathis Papaioannou