[ExI] Let's play What If.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Oct 28 01:19:40 UTC 2010

On 10/27/2010 7:57 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

>> Of course--in the situation you first proposed. Say I walk into a scanning
>> >  station, lie down, get scanned, stand up and the team wave me off after a
>> >  nice cup of tea. Then they settle down to cleaning up any glitches in the
>> >  scan and begin running off either one or a million copies who coalesce in
>> >  the copy tank/s. Surely you're not claiming that everyone gets really really
>> >  confused at that point, including me, and forgets who the original was?

> If the information is kept from you, you have no way of knowing
> whether you are a copy or the original after the procedure. It might
> have been done to you while you slept last night.

If I know *in advance* that the information is going to be kept from me,
I'm not foolish enough to authorize the procedure. If it is going to be
done anyway by an evil scientist, whatever I say about it, I'm screwed.
My recommendation: stay well clear of mad or bad scientists, despots,
tyrants, and other brutes.

Damien Broderick