[ExI] Let's play What If.

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Sat Oct 30 01:16:15 UTC 2010

Unfortunately my last reply contained the crucial point toward the end,
with supporting material at the front.  That left a lot of targets for
you to knock down without really zooming in on what I was trying to
claim.  (So I won't defend against any of your points because they are
valid enough when removed from the context of my final line).

Remember that the question is only about whether the person before the
operation should feel afraid.

************

That person should NOT feel afraid if they are going to be the one that
is not the duplicate.  But before the operation, there is not a single
aspect of the person that you can point to and say "This aspect of the
person is going to remain as the original" EXCEPT the physical aspects.
(This is the CRUCIAL point).  So any attempt to point to something and
say "This is the real me that is going to continue on and remain the
original" will founder, unless the pointing is a pointing at something
physical.

But there are a thousand games we can play to make those physical
aspects irrelevant to "personhood", and in the limit as those games
become more comprehensive, the level of personhood continuity stays the
same, at 100% original.  Then, finally, when the games are pushed to the
limit itself there is a sudden switch and some people would say that the
personhood continuity suddenly comes down to zero (they would say "Ah,
that is no longer the original, that is a copy").

The games start innocently enough:

1) The end of one of my fingernails is actually on the duplicate person,
after the operation.  (Who cares?  Me as a person, I am still 100% the
original me).

2) All of my arms and legs are transferred to the copy, with me getting
new ones.  (Who cares? ..... ditto).

3) Some of my neurons are replaced by new neurons that function exactly
the same as the originals are rapidly transported across the to copy.
(ditto).

4) Some of my neurons are replaced by synthetic copies that function
exactly as same and the originals are rapidly transported across the to
copy.  (ditto).

5) Unbeknowst to both of them, the original and the copy are placed in
identical, featureless rooms, so when they both wake up (or when the
instantaneous operation happens, if that is the way it is done), the
first thing they say is "Thank god!  Nothing happened, so I must be the
original!".

6) Same as 5, but the original is told that both will seem to be in the
original room after the operation.  Then, the first thing both will say
is "Am I the original?".

7) Same as 6, but after the operation the two of them will never be told
which one is the original and which is the (we will assume) atomically
perfect copy.  Instead, the sadistic torturers tell them that foir the
rest of their lives neither will be told which is the original, except
that on some randomly chosen future day the copy will suddenly be picked
up and taken to the torture chamber.  (Now both of them live in equal fear).

8) Exactly 49.999% of my neurons are transferred to the copy, while the
remainder stay put.  The ones that are replaced are (of course) perfect,
functionally identical new neurons.

9) ALL of my neurons are transferred to the copy and replaced by
functional duplicates (with such a perfect continuity of signals that no
glitch is observed by the original), with all of them being moved to the
copy's new brain cavity.

10) All of me (... why not take all of me?...) is taken in an instant
and transferred to the duplicate's body and brain, except for one
remaining tip of one fingernail, which stays in the original location.

************

Question:  in how many of these cases is it clear that the original SELF
of that person (not the original body, but the original self) is in one
place, while the duplicate self is in the other place?

In the scenario as described by John Clark, you maintain that the
original is clearly in the original body and somebody else comes into
existence.  But is it possible to make that same declaration in all of
these intermediate cases? ... because it looks to me like we could make
a complete continuum of cases from the original case all the way across
to my case 10, which looks exactly like case 1, but reversed.  If we can
make that continuum of cases, and if one end of the continuum is
interpreted one way, but the other end is interpreted the opposite way,
at which point did a flipover occur (and why)?

This is an old version of the argument (first time I read it was in the
replies to Searle, but I recall it being a staple of philosophy
discussions long before that).  The point of it is that different people
choose different points at which to get leary about which one is the
real them and which is the copy.  And in the end, the decision about
which one is the continuously connected original turns out to be decided
by fiat:  people usually just declare that there is a line beyond which
the original stays or moves.

Richard Loosemore