[ExI] Here's an idea: Let's torture sane people! =P

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 10:55:30 UTC 2010

On 28 October 2010 10:28, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Whether you feel apprehensive about a version of yourself being
> tortured is an indication of whether you consider that that version is
> "you". If I told you you were going to be tortured next week but don't
> worry, because you have a rapid metabolism your brain will be made up
> of completely different matter by then, will you stop worrying?

Mmhhh. Since there is little if any evolutionary guidance here, the degree
of concern strictly depends on the metaphor you choose to adopt to describe
your upload.

As to the sort of  "independent" (i.e., multiple, diverging) copies, well, I
expect it not to exceed that dictated by ordinary empathy (as opposed to
self-preservation instincts), which is of course progressively stronger the
closer the subject is to yourself and/or traits (normally) expressive of
your genetic endowment.

--
Stefano Vaj