[ExI] Two Paths to Further Shrink Computer Chips

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Thu Sep 2 03:07:08 UTC 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010, Jeff Davis wrote:

> And add this tech, hyped as "game-changing", enabling 3D chip architecture:
>
> http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/08/applied-materials-claims-game-changing.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2Fadvancednano+%28nextbigfuture%29&utm_content=Yahoo!+Mail
>
> Best, Jeff Davis

This sounds nice, gives hopes that one day building a 1000-core cpu will
be trivial (and I feel pervert pleasure thinking I would one day buy it
used from internet for the cost of pocket radio).

But first, from what I've read, they have to solve problem of getting
enough power in, and next, of getting heat out of it. There is this
concept of putting pipes inside the cpu, with some coolant in them. But
again, this might be nontrivial to do - somewhere again I've read, that
silicon will broke off in microscopic pieces, in effect clogging the pipes
and bursting the chip...

Perhaps reversible computing is the answer for heat problem, or at least a
helper. But I've just started to scratch the glass surface, so I have very
fogged understanding of this, ATM.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola