[ExI] On effects of extensive copyright laws...

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sun Sep 5 04:01:29 UTC 2010

Howdy,

"No Copyright Law
The Real Reason for Germany's Industrial Expansion?"

By Frank Thadeusz

[ http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,710976,00.html ]

The author describes interesting effect of no/laxed copyrights on 19th
century Germany, which led to big economic and social growth. On the other
side, in British colonial empire copyrights had been exploited and driven
books' proces high, so very few people bought them and they were luxury
(as jewelry and oil paintings) rather than source of knowledge (sure, they
could be read, too).

There were also some other interesting outcomes.

"The German proliferation of knowledge created a curious situation that
hardly anyone is likely to have noticed at the time. Sigismund
Hermbstädt, for example, a chemistry and pharmacy professor in Berlin,
who has long since disappeared into the oblivion of history, earned more
royalties for his "Principles of Leather Tanning" published in 1806 than
British author Mary Shelley did for her horror novel "Frankenstein," which
is still famous today."

Commenters add their own views on this.

Very interesting for me. I have always felt something very fishy with
this push for more and harder copyrights, that I see and read about so
frequently.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola