[ExI] memes and genes again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 21:17:19 UTC 2010

On 9/13/10, Damien Broderick wrote:
>  A better term is needed than the historically loaded "racial" in this case.
> Clade, perhaps?

Maybe, but Clark started the fight on that basis.  :)

>  And it's pretty obvious that in some cases a meme is ineffective if the
> phenotype's menu-settings aren't primed. No doubt there are many memes
> available for optimizing basketball success, but none of them can help me
> out, let alone that phocomelus guy over there playing the piano with his
> feet. The Lady Gaga meme probably doesn't make a huge impact on your dog.

That's right. The UK set up clubs around the country where scientists
talked to engineers and businessmen. You needed a society where both
groups existed and wanted to talk.
It couldn't work in India at that time, but just look at India nowadays.

PS. I bet you've been waiting years to get 'phocomelus' into a
conversation!  ;)

PPS. Your example is actually wrong usage. Phocomelus refers to a
deformity from birth. The Chinese foot pianist currently in the news
had his arms amputated after a childhood accident, so technically he
is disabled, or severely deficient in the arm department. :)

BillK