[ExI] Memes, genes Gregory Clark

ablainey at aol.com ablainey at aol.com
Wed Sep 15 02:31:32 UTC 2010

 I agree that the genetics of the carrier is very important. However I would go on to say that IMHO the main reason that memes fail to spread within certain society groups is in fact due to other memes. Call them antimemes if you will.
These are information antidotes to any given meme. Such as understanding the science of evolution vs creationism. However the order in which the meme/antimeme are presented is important. If exposure to one comes before the other then it is more likely to take hold and be much harder to replace with its antithesis.
This leads me to believe that taking an antimeme approach to a societal problem would be very beneficial, especially if the young of that society were 'vaccinated' before exposure to a destructive meme.

 This is in reality almost the opposite to what we generally do. Far too often we shield our young from destructive memes in the hope they will not be exposed. Then on exposure we have an uphill struggle to inject a sufficient antidote.