[ExI] Xylomannan (was: Re: Trehalose for life-extension?)

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 19 16:33:05 UTC 2010

On Sep 19, 2010, at 5:31 AM, The Avantguardian wrote:

> Thanks for bringing trehalose to my attention. Turns out it makes a real good
> cryopreseravtive too.

I'm puzzled that there is not more interest in using xylomannan as a cryopreservative, it's a sugar-fatty acid complex. So far as is known only the Alaskan Upis beetle makes it, and that is a truly remarkable bug. It freezes solid at about 18 degrees F but you can continue to cool it down all the way to minus 100 degrees F (-73C). Then if you want to revive the insect you don't need all sorts of fancy Nanotechnology, you just warm it up and it crawls away and goes about its business as if nothing had happened.

  John K Clark