[ExI] Nanotubes in the news

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Sep 20 14:58:05 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of John Grigg
> Considering these nanotubes materials are over 100 times
> stronger than steel, can we *finally* build a damn space
> elevator?  : )

http://www.bloggingthesingularity.com/2010/09/18/behold-the-strength-of-carb
on-nanotubes-health-tech-cnet-news/

> John

No!  No John, we sure can't.  Not yet anyway.  Even given the materials, we
still haven't figured out what to do about all those satellites, which must
cross the equatorial plane twice every orbit.  I did a BOTEC on this about a
decade ago and concluded the half life of the elevator would be about 7
months.  Shorter now.  We need to sweep LEO to make this notion a go.