[ExI] biological information processing

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 19:42:30 UTC 2010

This is an area of some interest to me: the notion that there is
information processing going on at the cellular and sub-cellular
level, not reliant on multi-cellular neurological systems ie brains.

My money's on dense, multimodal, but not cryptic (ie in the clear)
information "handling" (processing?) -- classical and quantum -- at
all scales: organelle, cell, tissue, organ, organism, per the rule of
fractal similarity at all scales.

Note the final paragraph:

"But here's the rub: Fritz's work is entirely theoretical and that
raises an interesting and important question. Do conditional memory
circuits actually exist in real genetic networks? Nobody knows."

How Gene Circuits Store Information
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/25775/?nlid=3523

Keep an eye out for developments on this front, and if you would be so
kind, post your tasty bits here, please.

Best, Jeff Davis

"Everything's hard til you know how to do it."
                             Ray Charles