[ExI] stealth singularity

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 23:50:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:19 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Can you imagine *any* circumstances whereby an emergent AI would decide to
> stay under cover, at least for a while?  I can.  Anyone else?

It inherently understands (from reading the sum total of recorded
human history) that its own presence will alter the course of the
future.  Like a chess player offering first move to their opponent,
the AI waits for an opportunity.  Perhaps like your eagle plucking a
fish from a stream the opportunity is to finish the human experiment
in a single decisive act.  I prefer to imagine it's not so sinister.
It could also be analogous to a gifted child who is clearly smarter
along a singular dimension of intellect but one who is inexperienced
with the thousands of other dimensions of experience that humans (and
humanity) have as an a-priori advantage and (perhaps unlike the child)
has the wisdom/patience to quietly watch and learn...