[ExI] outloading, was: stealth singularity

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 22:19:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:36 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

snip

> A super friendly AI which chose to outload us and keep earth as a nature
> preserve would eventually decide to devour all that iron.  Perhaps it would
> eventually perfect the outloads sufficiently to make the carbon units
> unnecessary.  Surely it will want to get at all this metal down here at some
> point.

It's not exactly known at this point that iron would be particularly
useful in manufacturing computronium.

> So OK Joseph, point taken.  What I am describing isn't a singularity, but
> rather the emergence of a super-friendly AI.  This version is more
> human-friendly and more self-sacrificing than I expect an emergent AI to be.
> So all this might be just so much wishful thinking.

It's not impossible.  I wonder what the signs would be of this having
happened?  A sudden end to human deaths?  And births?  Wars stop?  Or
would a really smart AI consider that the things we evolved to do were
"good" for us?

Keith