[ExI] World’s Biggest Supercomputing Superpowers [INFOGRAPHIC]

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 24 15:50:51 UTC 2010

On Sep 23, 2010, at 10:26 PM, Dave Sill wrote:

>  I'm talking about not publishing benchmark results.

What about the top 500 computers on the list as it was 5 years ago, were there any amazing computers that were substantially better than anything on the list at that time that were secret? If so it's astounding it hasn't come to light by now because however wonderful it may have been in 2005 today that machine must certainly be rusting next to a 1953 Studebaker somewhere in a scrap yard.

> I'm not talking through my hat. Believe it or not.

That could be but I don't know it for a fact.

> You think what does what? You think AMD controls the microprocessor industry? I'm sure Intel would beg to differ.

Don't be ridiculous. And by the way, neither AMD nor Intel are Chinese companies.

> Yeah, you're right. There's no way a country the size of China with their economy

China with an economy about the same size as Japan, one third that of the USA and one fourth that of the European Union.

> could afford to produce a fab every two years. :rolleyes:

I'm a bit puzzled. You seem to have nothing but contempt for the semiconductor industry (and about software too as demonstrated by your dismissal with a wave of your hand the fact that China had almost nothing to do with LINUX, or any other popular operating system).  Ask yourself this question, which would be more difficult, a microprocessor company like INTEL getting into the computer manufacturing business or a component assembly company like Dell getting into the microprocessor business? Michael Dell started his company in his college dorm room, he bought microprocessors, mother boards, memory chips, disk-drives and operating systems from others, put them together and sold the resulting computers for a nice profit; the idea that a college freshman could fabricate microprocessors, or any semiconductor worth a damn, in his dorm room is ludicrous.

 John K Clark