[ExI] A suicide note

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 06:40:48 UTC 2010

2010/9/25 Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 9/25/2010 4:45 PM, John Grigg wrote:
>>
>>> ‎"Last week, a man shot himself dead on the steps of Memorial Church
>>> in Harvard Yard, leaving behind a 2000 word book suicide note
>>
>> Presumably that was a 2000 page book suicide note.
>
> Or 8 pages, at 250 words per page - a typical standard.  Calling an 8 pager
> a "book"
> instead of a "pamphlet" might be a bit generous, but not entirely without
> merit.

It is really almost 2000 pages.

Extropians gets one mention, Minsky gets mentioned twice, Vinge 3
times, libertarian 4 times, upload 4 times, Moravec 8 times,
transhuman or transhumanist 14 times, Kurzweil 42 times, Hughes 49
times, Dawkins 124 times, memes 133 times, Hitler 289 times, AI 314
times, Nazi or Nazis 728 times, Jewish 1210 times, God 1694 times.

Fortunately, I am not mentioned nor do the stories say he had a failed
lottery ticket in his pocket.

Attention, even posthumously is a powerful driver.

Keith