[ExI] Atheists and agnostics know more about religionthatbelievers, study shows

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Sep 29 04:20:03 UTC 2010

> > > Spike wrote:
> > > *What is the best refutation of religion you have ever
> seen, heard or read?
>
> Here is an oldie but a goodie credited to Epicurus the Greek
> Philosopher circa 250 BCE:
>
> 1. if God is unable to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent 2.
> if God is not willing to prevent evil, he is not good 3. if
> God is willing and able to prevent evil, then why is there evil?
Avantguardian

Excellent responses all, thanks.

The most profound refutation of religion I ever saw was a book that is not
even about religion at all, but is a book I would suggest is the cornerstone
of so much of the philosophy we discuss in this forum:  Douglas Hofstadter's
Godel Escher Bach, an Eternal Golden Braid.

Reasoning: Hofstader goes into the mechanics of philosophy and how it is
that Godel showed that every conceivable logic system has it singularity,
where paradox is unavoidable.  I read that book cover to cover twice, the
first time in October 1983 and the second time in August 1984.  I realized
that all religions have the self referencing paradox feature, so that the
system cannot be verified from outside the system.  Religions are analogous
in that sense to the following comment:

This sentence is true.