[ExI] Paleo lifespan

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 09:47:52 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 10:18 AM, J. Stanton  wrote:
> "The average modal age of adult death for hunter-gatherers is 72 with a
> range of 68-78 years. This range appears to be the closest functional
> equivalent of an "adaptive" human lifespan."
>
> "Illnesses account for 70 percent, violence and accidents for 20 percent,
> and degenerative diseases for 9 percent of all deaths in our sample."
>
> "Post-reproductive longevity is a robust feature of hunter-gatherers and of
> the life cycle of Homo sapiens. Survivorship to grandparental age is
> achieved by over two-thirds of people who reach sexual maturity and can last
> an average of 20 years."

I don't believe it is a myth that paleo people only had an average
life span of around 30-35 years. But it wasn't due to their diet.

Your report is probably correct in saying that humans have evolved to
have a 70-80 year expected lifespan. But going back through history
the average life expectancy never got above about 45 years until
around 1950. Long life expectancy is a really new event in human
history. Think back to the 1920s when families had ten children and at
least half of them died.

The reason for the short lifespan had little to do with diet. Humans
can live on almost anything. They are very adaptable. Disease, lack of
hygiene, trauma, fighting, caused the short life spans.

BillK