[ExI] Clark and Braudel

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 15:43:00 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 1:42 AM,  <pharos at gmail.com>> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Keith Henson  wrote:
> <snip>
>> Kelly, I really recommend reading Clark's research paper, Genetically
>> capitalist. ?Or his book or both.
>>
>> There are substantial differences in populations because of different
>> past selection pressures. ?It's not politically correct to say so of
>> course.
>
> Because it's wrong, of course.
>
> Culture and institutions are far more important.

Bill, if you read Clark's rather detailed research, you would find
that it was long persisting culture and institutions that set up the
conditions for the strong genetic selection in the UK.

Kind of like the strong selection for lactase production into
adulthood was the result of the culture where people were keeping
dairy animals.

So from a *causal* perspective, culture came before the strong
Darwinian/Malthusian selection that changed the average personality
characteristics of certain populations.

Clark makes a case that in 400 years of selection, the UK population
got a nearly complete genetic replacement by those well off in the
Middle ages.  By 1800, when the poor largely quit dying from
starvation, the stage was set for the industrial revolution.

"Importance" is hard to assign in complicated systems of feedback loops.

> For example, you could try reading Capitalism and Material Life,
> 1400-1800 by Fernand Braudel. it is a massive 3-volume epic by a real
> historian.

I have to wonder what Fernand Braudel would think about Gregory
Clark's work.  Braudel is one of the few who took a long enough view
of economic history to appreciate what Clark is proposing.  They are
both economic historians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Clark_%28economist%29

Keith