[ExI] THE END for fossil power

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Apr 3 19:47:31 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 01:27:04PM -0400, Mr Jones wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 5:22 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>
> > What do you do with surplus? Dump it into synfuel.
>

> Why not dump it into hydrogen?  I understand not converting fossils to
> hydrogen, but water...

Hydrogen would be one of the gaseous synfuels, or at least
reduction equivalents and synthetic precursors. The interesting
part of hydrogen is that water electrolysis is an old, cheap
technology, and natural gas network can take considerable
fraction of hydrogen mix at the edge without producing embrittlement
or leaking.

> Hell, it's the most abundant element in our Universe, seems to me we should
> get familiar with it.

We've been deeply familiar with hydrogen on industrial scale roughly
for about a century

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haber_process