[ExI] Millions of tons to space

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 13:37:00 UTC 2011

Dan <dan_ust at yahoo.com> wrote:

> You speak as if Earth contained most of the rock and metal
> in the solar system
> if not the galaxy. There's plenty of rock and metal around
> to play with.

There was plenty of oil, too, a century ago, yet many people think we're going to run out of the stuff soon.

If we discovered an oil-reservoir-dwelling bacterial ecosystem, I rather doubt it would be widely thought a good idea to preserve a multi-billion-barrel amount of oil under the ground, for the sake of those bacteria.

We would think of a better solution, I'm sure.  We could easily provide for the bacteria *and* still avail ourselves of the bulk of the oil.

Planets are a terrible way to make a habitat (even for biologicals). Wasteful, dangerous, and so difficult to leave, when you want to.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were no bodies larger than a few km in size left in the whole solar system (expect the sun), in a few hundred years.

Ben Zaiboc