[ExI] Efficiency of wind power

John Clark Jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 9 16:48:59 UTC 2011

On Apr 9, 2011, at 2:03 AM, Kelly Anderson wrote:

> Given that the core is heated by nuclear fission,

Geothermal heat does not come from nuclear fission, 80% of it comes from the decay of radioactive isotopes, primarily Potassium Uranium and Thorium; the remaining 20% comes from the formation of the Earth when a large cloud of matter was compressed by gravity into a small ball 8000 miles in diameter, all that gravitational potential energy was converted into heat.    

> Well, you didn't mention nuclear fusion.

Because fusion has not yet reached theoretical break-even and produced one watt of usable power (other than in the H bomb), and it is even further from economic break-even.

> True we can't do it today,but perhaps someday with a lot of AI we might figure it out.

Maybe, but we can't base our future on some marvelous new discovery made at some unspecified time that may or may not even happen.

 John K Clark

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/attachments/20110409/6492b0b5/attachment.html>

More information about the extropy-chat mailing list