[ExI] Fuel efficient car for anywhere but America

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Apr 13 05:57:24 UTC 2011

On Apr 11, 2011, at 11:56 AM, kellycoinguy at gmail.com wrote:

> I heard recently that part of the reason that oil is cheaper in the US is because the international price is stated in dollars. Also that if we stopped denominating oil in dollars that the price would jump in the us. This seems like a crazy argument to me. Do any of you have any reason to believe it moght be true?

It is denominated in $US and the $US is the world reserve currency.  This generally enables the US to inflate its currency with less blowback and less quick consequences as everyone wants dollars to buy energy and for other reasons.   I am don't see how that keeps the price of oil or gas in the US down by itself though.  We do import a tremendous amount of it and we did put it on the map.  So I think part of it is that we were ass deep it in from the beginning and brokered a lot of favorable deals.  Including things like arming Saudia Arabia to the teeth in what looks a bit like an indirect kickback (to me anyway).

OTOH I was shocked last week to read that China now buys more oil from Saudi Arabia than we do.

- samantha