[ExI] US traffic deaths dropped to new low

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Apr 14 23:59:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 04:30:12PM -0700, spike wrote:

> I would argue that we should count all fatalities that would not have
> occurred had the person not risked mass transit.  Now assume one does not
> drive drunk or stoned, does not race motorcycles, does not race any road
> vehicle, does not drive tired, and isn't stupid, then cars are safer than
> mass transit.  Our cars are our rubber and steel war horses, our rolling

"cars are safer than mass transit"

Are they?  What's the evidence?  You typed a lot of FUD about mass
transit crime risks, but no numbers.  You're bringing it up, so how many
people do die due to taking mass transit for reasons not captured in the
accident statistics?

I note that while deaths due to cars are 32,000, I see 15,000-18,000 for
murder or homicide rates.

> suit of armor.  We have the option of carrying our 38 caliber lance tucked
> down between the seats.  Even if that isn't safer, it sure as hell feels
> safer.

"Damn the facts, I feel better!"

Your "rolling suit of armor" is an enemy tank in someone else's hands.

-xx- Damien X-)