[ExI] Did Hugo de Garis leave the field?

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Sat Apr 16 19:41:34 UTC 2011

Did this one slip by me unnoticed ... Hugo de Garis decided to call it
quits on AGI?

This is from his H+ article at
http://hplusmagazine.com/2011/04/15/friendly-ai-a-dangerous-delusion/

> One of the reasons I stopped my brain-building work was that I got
> bored evolving neural net modules for artificial brains. These
> modules were a black box to me. They worked because they were
> evolved, but I had no scientific understanding as to why they worked.
> I was doing great engineering but lousy science. After 20 years of
> it, I finally got fed up and turned to other research topics that
> taxed my own biological human brain more, such as pure math and
> mathematical physics.

Last time I talked to him he was gung-ho about getting a full-scale AGI
up and running with those neural nets.  Now he says he got bored and
abandoned that and went back to physics and math.

Hnnnh.

Richard Loosemore