[ExI] pale diet again: RE: It's not only the fittest who survive.

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sun Apr 17 18:02:47 UTC 2011

Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote,
> Yes, we agree that if must have carbs at all long-chain, hi-fiber, diluted,
> carbs, in a caloric restriction framework, are a lot safer and healthier.
>
> This is also true for heroin, however, and it could be contended that a
> heroin flash is more satisfactory to many people. :-)

This is merely an assertion that carbs are as bad as heroin.  There is
no evidence here for me to refute.  Do you have any evidence that carbs
are not required for human nutrition?  Because I have plenty of evidence
that they are.

Every cell of our body has mitochondria churning away at the Krebs Cycle
to process carbs for energy.  Every muscle in our body burns carbs to
move.  Our brain requires carbs to function.  We store carbs (as fat)
for later use.  We retrieve this fat storage to convert back into carbs
when we don't eat enough carbs.  If we don't get carbs, we go into
ketosis to convert fat into carbs.  Everything about our body is design
to use carbs for energy.

Fat is a secondary source of energy.  It must first be converted to
carbs before it can be used for energy.  The body cannot use the fat
as-is but must have carbs.  Burning fats for energy is actually the
initial stage of starvation, wherein one starts to lose weight.
(Burning protein for energy is the end stage of starvation, wherein one
starts to lose core muscle mass.)

A low-carb high-fat diet forces the body into ketosis where it starts
burning fat to create carbs.  It does this in excess to counter the carb
starvation, such that it actually raises blood sugar levels higher than
before carbs were eliminated from the diet.  Switching to a low-carb,
high-fat diet actually increases blood sugar levels in the body.  If one
is trying to get rid of carbs, I am not sure why one would choose to do
that.

Given all this, it is clear that the body evolved to eat carbs for
energy.  Eating anything else is just an inefficient way to get carbs
for energy.  Nothing else can provide any energy without first being
converted to carbs.  Therefore, it is ludicrous to deny that carbs are
the primary macronutrient for human nutrition.

--
Harvey Newstrom, Security Consultant, <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CGEIT CSSLP CRISC CIFI NSA-IAM ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP