[ExI] Heat of the Earth [WAS Re: Efficiency of wind power]

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 19:16:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Richard Loosemore <rpwl at lightlink.com> wrote:
> Kelly Anderson wrote:
>>
>> 2011/4/9 John Clark <Jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
>>>
>>> On Apr 9, 2011, at 2:03 AM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>>>
>>> Given that the core is heated by nuclear fission,
>>>
> Gravitational PE converting to heat is really a continuous process, which
> applies to everything from individual atoms to entire planetesimals falling
> down Earth's potential well.  Drop a ham sandwich onto the ground right now
> and it will warm the planet up just a little.

Yes, just a little... :-)

> So, the Earth was already bleeping hot before anything recognizable as
> comets started raining down on the surface.

Yes, substitute anything moving at supersonic speeds for "comet" in my

> I am guessing that the half life of the Earth's heat would be determined by
> the isotope with the longest half life, which would be Thorium at about 14
> billion years.  Comparable to the Sun's lifetime, and well before I plan to
> move to another solar system, so there is no need to worry yet.

Will it make any difference if we get efficient at stealing heat from
the earth's core? When will we experience Peak geothermal energy? :-)
Heck, we'll probably have the dang fusion and flying cars before
that's a problem...

-Kelly