[ExI] Fuel efficient car for anywhere but America

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Apr 18 12:32:45 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 04:24:09PM -0600, Jeff Davis wrote:
> 2011/4/11 kellycoinguy at gmail.com <kellycoinguy at gmail.com>:
>
> > Miles per dollar has always seemed more interesting to me than MPG.
>
> Indeed.  And what I want to know is how does miles per dollar of

See "The MPG Illusion"

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/320/5883/1593.full?sid=e2da957f-14a4-438b-8a32-ac65f1c9c924

> gasoline in a gas vehicle compare to miles per dollar of electricity
> in an electric vehicle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptera_Motors sez 300 mpg (0.78 l/100 km).

Aptera Type-1e was 52 Wh/km (1 kWh = 19.2 km)

http://apteraforum.com/showthread.php?t=231

The new one should be lots better, somebody do the math.

(By integrating thin-film PV you could probably limp along on
solar power alone, augment during cruise or recharge when
parked, though here you typically use the carport roof to
recharge).