[ExI] Carbohydrates and energy

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 14:12:15 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 1:46 PM, J. Stanton  wrote:
<snip>
> My approach is to eat an amount of glucose more proportional to my
> body's actual use for it: ~20% of calories, more if I'm doing hard
> aerobic work. Much of the remainder is fat, which is both the body's
> most efficient energy source and a necessary delivery matrix for crucial
> fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E, and K2...not to mention choline and
> other important nutrients in which most of us are deficient.
>
> Also keep in mind that glycemic index is far more dependent on the fat
> content of the meal than on the "complexness" of the carbohydrate:
> http://www.gnolls.org/1029/fat-and-glycemic-index-the-myth-of-complex-carbohydrates/
> Shortlink: http://www.gnolls.org/?p=1029

It is rather worrying when I see people who know far more than me
about human metabolism seemingly arguing for completely opposite
points of view.  To me it indicates that the science is not yet clear
enough or thoroughly understood.

I certainly would not be prepared to gamble my health and possible
future medical problems on one particular subset of the ongoing
arguments.

BillK