[ExI] Skylon as first stage.

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 14:52:39 UTC 2011

I had two people who asked for the path into space graph and the
spread sheet to check my "rocket science" math and one who complained
in private email that the Skylon/laser/power sat posting I made
recently was incomprehensible.

So here is another shot at it:

It's been known for decades that solar power satellites *can* send
energy to the earth.  After all, communication satellites do it every
day, just not at levels useful for power.

The question is cost, and that's almost all due to the high cost of
rockets to get millions of tons of power satellite parts to GEO.

If you want to sell power on earth in serious competition with coal,
the economics indicates you need to reduce the cost of getting parts
to GEO by a factor of around 200.  That's $20,000 per kg down to
$100/kg.

Unfortunately, the chemical energy in rocket fuel vs. the physics
energy it takes to get to orbit just won't do it.  Round numbers, the
Falcon Heavy will put 50 tons in LEO or 25 tons in GEO for a cost of
$100 M.  That's a reduction to $4000/kg, a factor 5 but not enough.
Launching one every hour might get the price down to $1000/kg which is
still too high by five times.

Skylon, the proposed rocket plane from Reaction Engines, at several
flights per hour is expected to put 10 tons in LEO and 5 tons in GEO
for a cost of $1.5 M or $300/kg.  *Still* too high.

A brand new concept starts with the sub orbital maximum load of 30
tons for a Skylon then uses 400 MW of laser power to get 10km/s
exhaust velocity from a second stage.  This will get 20 tons to GEO
per flight.  The estimated capital cost of the lasers ($4 B or $400
M/year) is under $2/kg.  Spread over 480,000 tons per year it drives
the lift cost for parts down to $100/kg.

If we can get the lift cost down that far, a power satellite comes in
at $1600/kW or $1.6 B/GW.  At that capital cost, energy from space
could sell for substantially less than energy from coal.

The development could come in as low as $20 B, maybe less.  The profit
after this was going is up in the hundred billion a year class rapidly
growing into the trillions--enough to cope with social security and
the other cost of government.

Not that the US is likely to do it, but whoever does it will put a cap
on energy cost

Keith